Accommodation is the most crucial topic that you must finalize before arrival; statistics say that vacancy rate is around 1% in Calgary and reality says that it will be the most expensive item in your monthly expenses. Links will help you to prepare a realistic budget for accommodation and give information about the districts of the city you might choose to live. If you don’t have a family or a friend, I suggest you rent a room in a decent home to have the opportunity to socialize and share experiences with others. The links are provided to give you some insight about the cost of rent. I strongly suggest you arrange a place to stay before landing!
- Information for newcomers on finding a place to live http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/fact_02e.asp
- Renting a place
- Information on tenant and landlord rights, responsibilities, rental practices, sample letters and worksheets
- Information on minimum conditions which are essential to good health and which make housing premises safe, sanitary and fit for human habitation http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/resources/publications/housing99.pdf
- Rental classifieds: Go through the links to have idea about rental rates
- Buying a place
- Hostels: http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/canada/calgary/